Monday, July 3, 2017

Zacatecas - Fifty Years Later

On a high school trip, fifty years or so ago, we went through Zacatecas, and I can't remember whether it was day or night. We were dazed from the miles and lack of sleep and sheer overwhelming new information to process.   What I do remember is an aqueduct built by the Spaniards in the colonial era to supply water to the mining town of Zacatecas.  As an un-traveled kid from Denver, it was the oldest man-made object I had ever seen.  Yesterday, while roaming around the old town of the old silver ciy, there it was once again. And while it hadn't changed, my perspective certainly has.   I've seen Roman aqueducts and cave paintings from 13,000 years ago.  But it was impressive still.
Fifty years later it no longer had houses built between the stone supports.  The bull ring next door is gone and turned into luxury lodging.  But the majestic feat of building the aqueduct remains in a 70 yard stretch.  And the daily traffic of the city flows underneath it.  Look at the detail in the stonework.
Fifty years is a long time between visits and Zacatecas has changed in many ways.  One thing is unchanged; the people were wonderful, and the accommodations were glorious.  Nancy and I have never had a pleasant moment in Mazatlán in three or four visits, but Zacatecas never lets us down.  Another thing has endured.  No one speaks English, telling me that the place is undiscovered by the neighbors to the north.  And it is a mystery why not.  No beaches, I suppose. Our hotel was from the Spanish colonial days, Hostel del Vasco.  Our room was a converted garage, we think.  It had doors that opened to the street, and Zacatecas being at 8000 feet, it was cool, so we did not try to open them, but we could have.  And the purpose our travels was to escape the heat of Tucson, so we were happy.
This young fellow was guarding the door to some place on the main drag.  He was across the street from the marvelous cathedral, but I don't know why the 1930'Mussolini getup.  But he was friendly, unlike most dictators.  Just a few steps away was this lady in another incredible costume.  She was selling things I didn't need, but I was interested in her lovely face.
 Next time, some photos of the beautiful city of Zacatecas.  I hope it's not another fifty years before my next visit.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I remember this acqeduct from when we drove from Manzanillo to Denver. Really impressive with the little stones in the spaces between bigger stones.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! All of it!

Anonymous said...

This is tricky trying figure out how to comment. I love your pictures, Zacatacas sounds great. Hope you can go back for a little visit to explore more. Amy