Saturday, September 1, 2012

La Boulangerie is Toast!


I don't know all the circumstances behind the closing of Leran's one and only boulangerie, but I will go out on a limb and speculate.  An increasing percentage of the local population depends upon the automobile for shopping; grocery stores are located within a few kilometers of the village and offer stiff competition; the elderly population is dying off and some village shops are perhaps no longer necessities but luxuries.  I know that I felt it was great to have a boulangerie, but I was not a 'regular' walking back every morning with a baguette.  Now that it is too late, I realize it takes a whole lot more than an occasional sale of croissants or flutes to keep the dough rolling. 

Thanks to Cecilia and Eric for the time they were in Leran, and I wish them the best of luck in their future.

No comments: