Friday, August 20, 2010

Photographs You Might Enjoy


When I go to the market, or a vide grenier, I usually don't buy anything, but I see lots of stuff and take lots of pictures. Here are just a small sample of them. (Click on 'em to enlarge 'em, kids.) There are always vendors who have old magazines and here is one with fascinating cover artwork. What happened to this soldier.....a sniper? What's going to happen to the horse when the train comes, which it will.

This attractive young lady wasn't dressed for the weather because it was unseasonably cold that morning in Mirepoix. She's signaling "Touchdown", I guess.

I pointed out to the vendor that I used to live in Montana. He wasn't the least bit impressed. He probably hears that everyday.



This picture was taken in the twelfth century shortly after the invention of photography.

I'm a sucker for young, pretty ladies who will stand still when I point my camera at them. She was a entrepenuer, and had a table of goods at Fanjeaux. She's from the twentieth century as you can surmise from her jean jacket.


This hardy plant was growing high up on the south facing wall of the Fanjeaux church. Perhaps 30 feet high, how it gets enough moisture and nutrients is beyond me, but it manages to survive.

A knocker on a door; the building is in Fanjeaux and was built in 1666 (Oh, really!). I didn't notice it until I saw Peter Matthews taking a picture of it. I was looking at the entire building, but this was the best little detail.

At the Fanjeaux Vide Grenier was this sweet little young lady sunning herself on her terrace.

The Vide Grenier was on a Sunday and the church service was taking place, nice and quiet amongst all the comotion outside. The inhabitants of the town of Fanjeaux, in the days of the Cathars, were almost all converts to the new religion. Unlike other nearby towns, where only 1 in 20 found meaning in the new ideas, Fanjeaux, and Montreal went for it 'whole hog' and were consequently in for rough times from the Pope. He did, however, build them this nice new church.

At the Lavalenet Friday market, this young basketmaker was working on one of her creations. Not much has changed in this profession for awhile except that she had a nice pair of clippers, very sharp.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm truly enjoying your new collection of twelfth century photography. I laughed out loud at your caption.

It's great to share your explorations of France again. Thanks for your focus on the quotidian. It is fascinating.

gabriele gray said...

Like beads of water on a glass of cold liquid, the stones will attract moisture which will condense on the wall and trickle down to the plant. I imagine it's send small but sturdy roots into cracks and crevices and draws nutrients from them...
They still make door knockers like the 'hand' you show which is even more reassuring than the thought that it would have survived for centuries. Should I win a lottery I would buy a house in Aude or Ariege and would insist on a door knocker like that.
I firmly believe that dreams can be both etherial and specific. I also 'dream' that I would find the perfect person to help me with all the repairs the old house would need.
Thanks for the photos of Fanjeaux. I've driven through there more times than I can remember but the place just doesn't 'feel' right to me. I was taking a new acquaintance to see Roquefixade and then to a Cafe Philosophique in Mirepoix that evening and she wanted to see Fanjeaux. I didn't say anything about the place, my feelings, etc. but after mailing a letter (it was convenient, nothing symbolic) she was ready to leave and afterwards said she didn't like the town at all (and she loves small towns and villages in France).
Driving through Lavelanet always makes me feel happy and Mirepoix is definitely an altered state of consciousness...all to the good!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Barbie doll with her little chairs...just waiting for someone to come and join her!

I did not know that the French invented photography in the 12th century...it was very un-generous of them not to share the secret for several centuries! HA!

Take care. Luke