Monday, August 6, 2007

Leran'Cestral Coture


We picked up our costumes for the Leran'Cestral this afternoon and we will be wearing them at dress rehearsal on Thursday. Hopefully, for me at least, a full rehearsal of all the scenes in order will bring some semblance of order to this pageant. Up to this point, I'm still a little hazy about how much time is really flying by.



Anne-Marie (the boss lady) and her team of seamstress elves were hard at work when we interrupted them, but they cheerfully accommodated "Doog" and Nancy. She flipped through her rosters of figurants (walk-ons) to verify our parts for costumes. All the names of our fellow figurants were listed by surname in ALL CAPS followed by prenom, and then were just the single names of Doug and Nancy. Kinda like Cher, Madonna, J-Lo, Beyonce.....



One of the elves, who also has a role in the performance, wisked us off into a room with hundreds of mideaval costumes appropriately separated by characters (payasans, nobilisse, pauvre gen, indiens, gladiateurs or moins). We had our choice, although monks costumes didn't have alot of variety. I was like a kid in a candy store. The photo is my nobility outfit for the processional, and I also have an everyday paysan utility dress.



I came across a YouTube ad promoting this year's Leran'Cestral 2007---imagine that! It is a video clip from last year's performance. So, if you want to see what you will be missing this Sunday, hopefully you can just click on the link below. If that doesn't work, copy it and paste it in your address bar. Break a leg!








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'd like to hear if you have success or not with this link to last year's Leran'Cestral.

Anonymous said...

I just watched the presentation on You Tube. I didn't realize there were so many horses involved in the pageant. I could get a little idea of the story and the period of history from the costumes...but I didn't get what the American Indians were doing in the story. Did some great explorer come from the Leran area and did he go to "the new world" and bring back some hostages? Let me know if you figure out that part of the pageant.

I am so fascinated by these little slices of history and culture...you are giving me a wonderful "vicarious vacation" this summer! Merci!

Judy said...

Doog; The YouTube connection worked perfectly. Looking at the pictures of last year's event, it reminded me of the Medieval Fair we used to do at the University of Oklahoma...only yours looks better. So many more great costumes, horses, jousting, etc. I know you'll have fun on Sunday.
What adventures you guys are having in France! And you are so generous to share them with us. Judy

Anonymous said...

It is such fun sharing your adventures--I am amazed at how much goes on in that little town. The festival appears to be a huge undertaking. Nancy is a natural to be a noblewoman, but I will withhold judgement on Frere Doog as a monk until we get a photo. I hope that another Youtube video will be done so that we can get a fuller view of your French acting debuts. Bonne chance!

Anonymous said...

Frere Doog claimed to be too shy to be seen wearing his "monk-ey" suit on the e-waves; so you'll have to wait until apres-midi when we have dress rehearsal. He can't refuse the boss lady. By the way, he now also has a nobleman's get-up.