Thursday, November 29, 2007

Paella

This is the beginning of the process, in a big wok, sauteing the chicken parts, the sausage, onions, garlic and peppers in some olive oil. The addition of the tomatoes and some moisture.


Before the rice is added it's like a thick soup.
Serving up the Paella. Yum, yum.


Every time I went to the Mirepoix market on Monday morning, I wanted to get some of the Paella they had cooking in those fragrant and vast cauldrons. However, it was always just after breakfast and too early for lunch and I resisted temptation. I was able to get some Paella at the Marche Nocturne Leran one evening and it just happened to be the last full scoop before the cauldron was empty and was less than satisfactory. So I decided to make another attempt at making Paella at home. Here's how:


1/3 cup of Olive Oil
1 small onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 generous pinch of saffron
3-5 tbsps mince fresh parsley
2 tbsps of chicken bullion
3 skinless chicken breasts, cut in large chunks
2 green peppers, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 tbsp sugar
4 cups rice
7 cups water
salt
1/2 to 1 lb. shrimp, leave shell on
1 lb. scallops

Saute onion, parsley, and garlic in olive oil until the onion begins to become transparent. Add saffron, chicken bouillon, chicken, peppers and saute until chicken has become white. Add tomato sauce, sugar, . Stir. Add rice and water and bring to a boil. Salt to taste. Boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and scallops, boil and additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmer 10 minutes covered, stirring occasionally, If the rice appears to be getting too dry during the last 10 minutes, add more water. If the rice is too wet at the end of the 10 minutes, uncover and evaporate unwanted liquid. ENJOY.

(Some of the changes I made were leaving out the sugar; putting in legs and thighs instead of chunks of breasts; adding some Italian sausage; using chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce; and I left out the scallops and I added some frozen green peas. If I'd had some mussels, I would have used them. It's a fluid recipe. Use what you have. I apologize to those of you in Europe for the use of cups, tablespoons, ounces and the like. Make the best of it. If it is any consolation, I didn't measure anything.)

No comments: