Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New Shoes

I can't remember exactly where we were the other day when an awareness hit me. But, then that was exactly the point. We were driving along a road, some road, du chemin, and it occurred to me that I had forgotten that we were in France. Lost in thought, I took in the undulating fields of wheat, sorghum, sunflowers and corn. Cats and hawks hunted newly-harvested fields. It could have been Colorado or Montana, Wyoming or even Utah. It doesn't matter where. It just didn't occur to me.


This is not to say that I have become complacent about my foreign surroundings. Quite the opposite. Or that I have 'been there, done that'. Hardly, by a long shot. Maybe it's like buying a new pair of shoes and it takes a while to break them in, no matter how much you wear them, before they feel comfortable and you forget you have them on. Maybe I'm getting broken in.


I just hope I remember to bring the same pair of shoes when I return so I don't have to start all over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice analogy about the new shoes and "breaking them in". I think perhaps you have become comfortable enough with France and have a "sense of belonging"...even though the "roof garden bureaucracy" has driven you crazy(among other things)!

As I said in an earlier comment...you and France are part of each other now...even if it's only a small part. Luke knows some "Frenchies" now...woohoo!

Enjoy your last few days of the French summer before it ends this weekend!